How do I open a restaurant or grocery store?
All foods sold or served to the public must be from an approved facility. All must have at minimum a 3 compartment sink, a handwashing sink, a water heater, a mop sink, and a restroom containing a toilet and a handwashing sink. All equipment must be commercial, and all floors, walls and ceilings must be smooth and easily cleanable. If you intend to build your establishment, you must submit a plan review form and have it approved prior to the start of construction.
If you instead plan to purchase an existing establishment, you will need to have a change-of-ownership inspection conducted. Having secured an approved facility, you will need to obtain a Sales Tax License from the Colorado Department of Revenue, complete and submit an Application for a Retail Food Establishment License, available from your local Tri-County Health Department office, along with the appropriate license fee.

Show All Answers

1. Do I need a Retail Food license?
2. Are retail food licenses transferable?
3. How do I open a restaurant or grocery store?
4. Do plans need to be submitted for the construction of a retail food establishment?
5. What is a potentially hazardous food?
6. Are retail food workers required to have a food handler card?
7. How do I report a food-borne illness?
8. Do I need a license to roast and sell chilies?
9. How do I report a dirty kitchen, restroom, dining room, or unsanitary conditions or practices?
10. Is it a violation for a restaurant employee to handle money and then handle food without washing their hands in between?
11. Can I rent time in someone else’s approved kitchen?
12. What are the requirements for equipment used in commercial food establishments?